My daughter and I were in the grocery store the other day and she found some organic kiwi. Its so funny that we can get organic kiwi in Montana in the winter but she really wanted some. So we bought some.
Kiwi’s are a fun little green fruit with dramatic black seeds in the center. You can eat the skin but I find its fuzzy texture to be not so appealing. Its like trying to kiss you husband who has stubbles on his face and then really all you get is whisker burn, only with a kiwi you are eating it. So needless to say I like to peel my kiwi.
Kiwi actually has amazing health benefits:
- Kiwi’s Phytonutrients Protect DNA – Fascinating. Anti-oxidant properties of the kiwi fruit have the ability to protect DNA from oxygen-related damage.
- Premier Anti-Oxidant Protection – An excellent source of vitamin C that helps neutralize the body of free radicals. Free radicals might sound cool, but they actually cause damage to our cells and lead to problems with inflammation and cancer (which is not so radical if you know what I mean). And since vitamin C is so good for the immune system, kiwi may be helpful in preventing recurrent ear infections.
- Fiber for Blood Sugar Control Plus Cardiovascular and Colon Health – Pretty loaded but the fiber in kiwi has been shown to reduce high cholesterol levels, which in turn may reduce the risk of heart disease and heart attack. Kiwi is helpful in keeping blood sugar levels of diabetic patients under control. As an added bonus, fiber is good for binding and removing toxins from the colon, which is helpful for preventing colon cancer.
- Protection Against Asthma – Eating vitamin C may be effective in protecting against respiratory symptoms associated with asthma like wheezing.
- Protection Against Macular Degeneration – I remember my Great Grandmother telling me I need to eat my carrots to keep my eyes in tip top shape, but it looks as though eating kiwi might be even more important than carrots because they are high in anti-oxidant vitamins A, C & E that protect agains vision loss.
- Cardiovascular Health – Eating kiwi everyday may significantly lower your risk for blood clots and reduce the amount of fats (triglycerides) in your blood, therefore helping to protect cardiovascular health.
Have you had your kiwi today?
Kiwi Apple Spinach
- 2 kiwis
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 cup spinach
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 Tbs walnuts
- 3 pitted dates
- almond milk, tea or water
Place all ingredients in blender. Feel free to use fresh or frozen fruit. If you are like me, you can add some extra protein like spirulina or another green powder. Have fun with it, blend it together and enjoy!
As we continue into into the New Year with new intentions and dreams for a brighter, happier, more prosperous future, take a minute to think about these seven beautiful ideas to ease your mind and anything you maybe struggling with along the way.
7 beautiful ideas to ease life’s struggle when taken to heart:
- Make Peace with your Past so it doesn’t spoil your Present.
- What others think of you is none of your business.
- Time Heals Almost Everything. Give Time Some Time.
- No one is the reason for your happiness except you.
- Don’t compare your Life with others; you have no idea what theirs is all about.
- Stop thinking too much, it’s alright not to know all the answers.
- Smile! You don’t own all the problems in the world.
Lots of smiles and green smoothies!