This is the perfect chocolate mousse!
The avocado is a versatile food that is used in a variety of raw dishes– like gazpacho and other cold soups, fruit salads, dips, desserts, and even ice cream! Avocados are a healthful substitute for sour cream or cream cheese in dressings, dips and spreads. But today we are going to explore chocolate mousse!
Avocados are amazing!
Many varieties of this native American plant are grown, but there are basically two different skin types: a smooth, green-skinned variety that remains green when ripe–this is known as the Fuerte and it is available in the fall and winter; and Hass, a dark, rough-skinned variety that blackens as it ripens is available in the summer.
Select avocados that are fairly heavy for their size and free of irregularities. When the fruit yields to gentle finger pressure, it is ripe. Store at room temperature until ripened, then refrigerate.
- The Perfect Chocolate Mousse
- ½ cup dates, pitted, soft
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups avocado, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup raw carob powder
- 4-6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Soak the dates in 1/2 cup fresh water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain soak water and set aside. In a food processor, blend dates, maple syrup, coconut butter (if desired), and vanilla until smooth. Spoon in avocado and blend until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of date soak water if necessary to aid in blending. Spoon in carob and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
Spoon mousse into parfait or wineglasses. Keeps fresh for several days.
You may also choose to freeze for a decadent ice cream! Yumm!
Eighty-eight percent of an avocado’s calories come from fat–primarily monosaturated fat–which makes avocados an excellent food for people wishing for the nourishment and the building of blood and yin. Because they are an excellent source of fat for people who have difficulty assimilating other fatty foods they are also a good source of protein, potassium, and vitamin E. They also reduce vata, which is perfect for this time of year!
And there you have it!