Its amazing how good I feel after a juice cleanse! Three days in and I can feel the subtle changes happening. I start to experience higher energy, great sleep, glowing skin, no more sugar cravings…the list goes on….. Five days into a juice cleanse and I feel absolutely amazing! Juice Cleanses and fasts are of course are nothing new. Cleanses and fasts have been around for thousands of years. I love reading new research that backs why juice cleansing is so powerful and important. Especially with today’s environmental stressors.
Studies are showing that juice cleansing is a powerful and effective way to keep the body’s systems in check. Recently, I stumbled across UCLA an article on the health benefits of a three-day juice cleanse. Their research illustrated that juice cleanses increase beneficial gut bacteria, promote weight loss and improve general well-being. How amazing is that?
UCLA found that a three-day juice cleanse reduced body weight and decreased lipid per-oxidation, while increasing nitric oxide, both of which are associated with heart health.
Here is a breakdown of how a juice cleanse can benefit your health:
Give your Digestive System a Rest
Bloated? Irritated bowels? Sensitive stomach? A juice cleanse can help reset your gut. When you drink only cold pressed, raw fruit and vegetable juice, you’re greatly reducing the amount of input and stress that your gut experiences. This gives your body the time to heal and recharge, while also taking in essential vitamins and phytonutrients. Adding prebiotics and probiotics to your cleanse will help you get back to feeling how you want to.
Studies have shown that juice cleanses followed by a plant based diet can greatly reduce inflammation in your body. Everyday I hear of people suffering of chronic inflammation; from the air we breathe, from meat, dairy, alcohol and the processed foods that we eat, to the products that we use. Your body responds to all of these toxins creating an inflammatory response. When you clean things up and cut out those outside toxins, while at the same time adding the beneficial nutrients readily available in cold pressed juice, you’re allowing your body optimal toxin removal and cell repair. Eating a plant based diet can greatly reduce allergies, arthritis, IBS and even cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases.
Within the first two days you’ll start to feel a wave of difference in your energy. Juice cleansing floods your body with nutrients in their natural state creating a lasting, clean energy; not the ups and downs and crashes we can get from coffee and sugar. With cold pressed juice, the enzymes and nutrients are liberated from fibre allowing them to be quickly assimilated into your body. Give it 15-20 minutes and you should be feeling a nice boost after each juice.
Healthy Weight Loss
Juice cleanses can be a gateway to a more balance diet. A kickstart to your healthy habits. When you remove harmful, toxic, and processed foods, saturated fats and empty refined carbs, and replace these foods with vegetable and fruit juices and plant based foods you’ll naturally lose weight.
So many people I meet are chronically dehydrated. Drinking adequate fluids like water and low sugar, cold pressed juice helps the body function more efficiently, improves energy, and helps remove toxins more effectively. Drinking water throughout the day, even while on your juice cleanse helps keep everything moving. I always recommend people drink half their body weight in ounces of water. Hydration also makes your skin glow. Regular hydration, helps remove toxins while juicing helps bring your cells healing nutrients that can transform how you feel and look. Start glowing by adding enough water to your regular routine!
More details on the UCLA study.
For details on the next group juice here.
Cheers to better health!
If you have ever spent any time with me, you would know that I am a huge fan of a simple solution called Sole (pronounced Solay) Water. This magical water is made with Himalayan salt, it contains 84 of your body’s 92 essential minerals we need everyday to stay in balance. In order for your body to fully benefit from these minerals we take in from our food, the molecules must be very small. To make the minerals easier for our body to absorb we can make a solution of Sole Water.
Many experts tell us that our soils are depleted of essential minerals. All diseases of humanity can be attributed to the lack of minerals in our bodies. This slow degeneration of society and of humanity is directly related to the lack of minerals in our food.
“YOU CAN TRACE EVERY SICKNESS, EVERY DISEASE, AND EVERY AILMENT TO A MINERAL DEFICIENCY.” – DR. LINUS PAULING, TWO-TIME NOBEL PRIZE WINNER
Regeneration is what we really need to thrive. Sole and juice together really create an amazing foundation for health and wellness!
Because Sole Water keeps us highly mineralized everything in our body works better, our cells communicate to each other more efficiently. Himalayan mineral salt is a superconductor of ions that charge our body.
“In a nine-week study undertaken in 2003 at the Inter-University of Graz, Austria examined the effects of Himalayan Crystal Salt on physical and psychological functions of the body. It is the only salt ever to have been the subject of comprehensive double-blind scientific research. The results of the study, presented in the book, Water & Salt – The Essence of Life by Dr. Barbara Hendel, M.D. and biophysicist Peter Ferreira, confirmed significant positive changes in respiratory, circulatory, organ, connective tissue and nervous system functions. Patients also reported increases in quality of sleep, energy and concentration levels, brain activity, weight loss, enhanced consciousness, and noticeable hair and nail growth.”
Sole is a great way to start your day! One teaspoon in the morning on an empty stomach mixed in a glass of good quality artesian or spring water. Within minutes of taking this the whole stomach and intestines are being stimulated and absorbing the minerals. This in turn encourages healthy digestion and metabolism to get your day started off right!
How to prepare a Sole Solution:
Place enough Himalayan salt at the bottom of a mason jar or other glass container to cover the bottom inch of the jar. Make sure your jar has a lid so contaminants cannot get into your solution. After about 24 hours, look to see if the salt crystals have completely dissolved. If so, add a few more crystals. When the water can no longer dissolve any more salt the crystals will settle at the bottom of the jar without dissolving. At this point the solution becomes 26%, which is stable and ready for consumption. The isotopic parts in the upper part of the glass tend to be more bio-friendly and alkaline. In contrast, the enriched Sole in the lower part of the glass contains isotopes, which are less bio-friendly and tend to be more acidic. Therefore it is best if we only use the Sole at the top. This solution never expires or goes bad, so you can keep adding water and Himalayan salt to the solution as it starts to get lower in the jar.
Drink 1 teaspoon everyday in warm water. Do not use a metal teaspoon, use bamboo, wood or plastic. The metal interferes with the minerals amazing benefits. If its hot our or you are sweating excessively, you can certainly take more to restore you electrolyte balance.
Notice the effects in your everyday life:
- Consuming Sole helps the body re-hydrate.
- The minerals in Sole make it useful in the natural detoxification that the body already does. Sole is naturally anti-bacterial and can help remove bad bacteria in the body.
- The minerals and stored energy in Sole help boost energy throughout the day.
- Sole stimulates the digestive system promoting food absorption and regularity naturally.
- Some people note improvements in blood sugar levels after using Sole.
- Sole can work as a powerful natural anti-histamine. This action is likely due to its balancing effects on the body, and I have noticed this personally.
- There is a theory that a potential cause of Osteoporosis and other bone disorders is the body utilizing calcium and other minerals from the bones for survival and to neutralize acidity in the blood. Sole is naturally full of minerals and alkalizing, so there is speculation that it is helpful with bone health as well.
- By supporting the correct mineral balance in the body and blood, Sole can help reduce or avoid vein problems like varicose veins.
- Contrary to what we often hear, many people notice a reduction in blood pressure from using Sole.
- By improving digestion and nourishing the body on a cellular level, Sole can help promote weight loss.
- Sole’s high mineral content makes it great for healthy skin (and acne problems), and for hair and nail growth.
Activate your self healing powers with a sole bath! Its amazing! As you float in this sheer ocean of energy, your body and soul become harmonized, you senses are soothed and your muscles relax. Bioenergetic deficits are rebalanced and weak links become strengthened, reactivating our body’s electric current. The organs functions begin to resonate with the natural frequency patterns of sole solution. This activates the natural regulatory mechanism of the body and its self healing powers, begin releasing toxins, allowing your skin to now absorb the vital minerals, reducing acidity in your body and balancing your skin’s pH. You skin becomes hydrated, you are strengthened and energy is renewed.
Studies have shown that you can achieve the best results taking a sole bath during the change of the moon cycle. The minerals and energies stored in the sole can optimally be absorbed during a full moon. The body’s healing potential is at its peak, bioenergetically weak points are harmonized, and the body’s own energy flow is activated. During a new moon, the cleansing effects are optimized because the body’s capacity for detoxifying is at an optimum. The concentration of the sole bath can slowly be increased from 1% to 8%. The higher the concentration, the stronger the cleansing effect, and the more severe the body’s reaction. It has been my experience that some people have to work up to the thirty minute bath as well.
The cleansing effects of a 30-minute bath are equal to three days of fasting. This is because it increases the body’s circulation and because our skin is our biggest eliminative organ the toxins are released into the bath water through osmosis, while the minerals from the sole are absorbed through the skin. You will feel amazing after this bath, let the minerals really soak in and DO NOT dry off after!
How to Prepare a Sole Bath ~ your own personal ocean in the tub:
You can find numerous bath salts on the shelves of many stores. Most of these have been chemically treated and therefore have lost their natural qualities. Ideally, for a salt bath treatment, try to find natural, untreated crystalized salt. Add 1-2 pound of salt to your bath tub and just enough water to cover it. After about 10 minutes the salt will dissolve and now you can fill your bathtub. Do not add any other bath products or essential oils.
The bath water should have. temperature of 98.6 degrees. This is important so that the body does not have to sacrifice its own energy to balance out the temperature. The bath water will remain at this temperature almost continuously. This is because the biophysical structure of the sole solution is so strong, it causes the molecules to move in constant rhythm. Sole baths have a positive effect on many ailments. They are, however, demanding on the circulatory system. Be aware of this if you suffer from weak or poor heart circulation, a foot bath may be more appropriate for you.
Blessings to you and your health!
The sun is a daily reminder that we too can rise again from the darkness, that we too can shine our own light. ~S. Ajna
This soup is nourishing and detoxifying, and when eaten regularly can help replenish nutrient deficiencies, boost immunity and restore vitality. Its delicious and you can use different greens to vary the nutrients and the taste!
1 Tablespoon Ghee or Olive Oil
2 Cups Blessed water or Tea (Astragalus, Pau d’Arco, Echinacea, Nettle, Chamomile)
1 teaspoon Masala
1 teaspoon Pink Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1/8 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
1 Cup Crumbled Fresh Soft Cheese (dairy or non-dairy) ~or~ you could use 1/2 cup soaked Cashews or 1/2 cup cooked lentils instead
1 Pound Leafy Greens such as Chard, Beet Greens, Collards, Spinach, Arugula, Kale &/or Sprouts.
1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley or Cilantro
Garnish with Fresh Lime Juice
In a medium saucepan add oil and spices, simmer and add 2 cups blessed water or tea and cheese. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. While cheese is cooking, prepare your greens: wash, stem and tear them so they blend well ~ this should yield about 8 packed cups or so. Gradually add the greens and parsley, turning them over until they wilt but still remain their vibrant color (about 3-5 minutes). Turn off heat and leave soup uncovered to cool down a bit before transferring to blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Reheat to desired warmth.
Garnish with lime and serve hot.
*Adapted from the book What To Eat For How You Feel by Divya Alter
Enjoy! Many Blessings!
Thought of the moment:
Of all that is wonderful in the human being, our most glorious asset is the capacity to change ourselves. ~Eknath Easwaran
Some of my friends from the Tree of Life started posting about celery juice and specifically the celery juice challenge. Being a seasoned juicer I know and understand how valuable celery juice is and I use it as a base for my green juices.
I honestly thought that because added it to my green juice it would have the same healing effects blended as it does on its own. After joining the #celeryjuicechallenge inspired by my friend and by Anthony Williams’ glowing praise of celery juice, I decided to give the “powerhouse of a drink” a shot. I was baffled by how powerful it is.
- Simply Juice 1 bunch organic celery
- Drink the undiluted juice right away and wait at least 15 minutes before consuming anything else.
Pure celery juice contains bio-available cluster salts and claims to be blissfully healing:
LIVER DETOXIFICATION: Celery’s detoxifying properties work to remove bad bacteria, fungi, mold, viruses and other toxins from the liver; the phytonutrients found in the green stalks also can have a protective effect.
NERVOUS SYSTEM SUPPORT: Celery is a powerhouse for supporting the nervous system. It has a calming effect on the nervous system because of its detoxify properties. It also provides support through its ability to act as a blood purifier.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Celery contains luteolin, a potent flavonoid, that can act as an antioxidant and inflammation.
THYROID CLEANSING: According to Medical Medium, Anthony William, the mineral salts in celery may help to fight and cleanse the body of the Epstein-Barr virus, particularly in the thyroid. Celery can also help to boost production of important thyroid hormones in those with hypothyroidism.
HEART HEALTHY: Studies have shown that celery extract consumption can help to prevent stroke, lower blood pressure, and reduce plaque in arteries.
- High-speed blender
- Nut-milk bag
- Large bowl
- Wash and roughly chop the head of celery into rough chunks.
- Add to a blender along with a splash of water (to help the blades spin).
- Blend for a few seconds until broken down.
- Pour into a large bowl through a nut-milk bag.
- Squeeze through the juice, and compost the remaining fiber in the nut-milk bag. Drink immediately for the most nutritional benefits.
I challenge you to try it, starting immediately for the rest of December! Let me know your experience!
May you all be blessed with the wonder of life during this time of year!
Cleansing has to be experienced to be believed. Its amazing how either a mono diet of kitchari or a juice fast can help with energy, weight loss, detoxification, better sleep, prevent disease and actually create more connection in our lives. When you feel great, you naturally strengthen your own sense of inner peace and openness, this in turn will deepen the intimacy and connection within.
1. You get rid of omnipresent toxins
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the truth is that you are constantly surrounded by toxins and pollutants. There is pollution in the air that we breathe, in the products we use to clean our homes and bodies, in the food that we consume, and even in our homes. You can definitely work on reducing your exposure to toxins but you can not really escape them (even your own body produces metabolic toxins). Hence why a seasonal detox/ cleanse is an excellent way to help your body get rid of some of these absorbed toxins.
2. You give your digestive system a much-needed break
Most cleanses and detoxes are based on avoiding junk foods and allergens. This helps balance blood sugar, reduce cravings and you also feel the benefits in your digestive tract. Problems such as gas, bloating, acid reflux, constipation, and irritation can all be reduced (if not completely eliminated) via a cleanse. Indeed, during a detox, there is less of a burden on your digestive system and you allow your body to get busy with other important biochemical processes, such as detoxification and rejuvenation.
3. You get more energy & a better sleep
Nutrition and most particularly the kinds of foods that you choose to eat will greatly influence your energy levels throughout the day and sleep at night. The heavier you eat and the more sugary foods you consume, the more likely you are to experience severe mid-afternoon crashes and/or poor sleep. That’s because these kinds of foods are very taxing on your digestive system and require a lot of “work” to be processed by your body.
Removing sugar-loaded foods and most common food allergens (i.e. gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar) from your diet for a period of time can go a long way in terms of giving you more energy and definitely better sleep. Test it out.
4. You experience a new sense of clarity
For many people, food and emotions go hand in hand. We eat when we want to celebrate, when we are depressed, bored, scared, … Emotional eating is a real issue and one great way to break through it is to try a cleanse. Through the removal of your favourite “comfort” foods, you learn to make healthier eating choices and you find new ways to cope with your emotions (e.g. daily movement, a new hobby, or socializing).
Moreover, the kinds of foods that we crave when we are emotional (sugary, salty, and usually fatty too) are known to make our minds foggy and unclear. Once you go through a cleanse, you start to see things in a different light – the fog lifts up and you get a new sense of clarity. How refreshing is that?!
5. You access a new level of creativity
When you go through a cleanse, you are forced out of your comfort zone. It can be annoying and uncomfortable at first but then when you push through, you reach a new level of creativity. You start thinking of different ways to prepare your foods. And you inevitably try new recipes – better yet you may even create your own! Creativity will not just stop in the kitchen, it will also expand to other areas of your life. Again, give it a try and see for yourself.
I strongly suggest you cleanse at least twice this year. It could be a 7 day juice cleanse, a 5 day kitchari cleanse, a week without dairy & gluten, or even something as simple as 21 days without sugar. There are many combinations out there. Once you have done your research and have been advised by a health care practitioner or nutritionist, I am positive that you, too, will be convinced that doing a cleanse is good for you.
The protein myth is real. Growing up I thought that eating animals was how to get enough protein in my diet for optimum health. There are now thousands of scientific studies and doctors that dispel they myth and confirm that plant based protein is abundant, powerful and nourishing.
“If you eat a variety of whole foods of plant origin (vegetables, legumes, 100 percent whole grains and fruits) and not refined food-like products, it is very unlikely that you could be deficient in protein intake, even if your needs are higher (after major surgery, for example). In other words, if you get enough whole plant foods everyday, you get enough protein. The more protein—especially animal protein—one eats, the higher the risk of different chronic diseases. For example, in a recent study of more than 6,000 people in the best nationally representative dietary survey in the United States, those between 50 and 65 years old who reported high protein intake had a 75 percent increase in dying from any cause, a four-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years, and a five-fold increase in death from diabetes. Those with moderate intake had increased cancer death risk three-fold when compared with the low protein intake group! It is important to note that these associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. The composition of amino acids, building blocks of protein, derived from animals is different than from plant proteins. What we need are amino acids, not the proteins themselves. As for the amount of protein we eat, it is not practical or very accurate to measure that on a daily basis. 0.8 g/kg is generous. According to the World Health Organization, 0.5 g/kg is adequate for good health. Make sure you get enough calories from unprocessed whole foods of plant origin and you will get more than enough protein.” ~ Dr Mladen Golubic, MD, PhD, Cleveland Clinic
That is a powerful statement! There are so many amazing benefits that come with eating plants, like lots of important fiber (97% of people are deficient in this key nutrient!), phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and water. In fact, 97% of American get more than enough protein every single day, so why is everyone so obsessed? Well, protein does play a vital role in thousands of biological processes like giving cell walls their structure, transporting and storing key nutrients, repair tissues (such as bones, skin, hair and muscles) as well as helping the body rid itself of toxins and waste.
Here is a link to a video that contains information from NutritionFacts.org
Where do you get your protein?
Here is a list I made up years ago for my clients:
Many of these foods you’re probably already familiar with, and the great news is, these foods are so much better for your body than animal sources. Plant-based sources of protein are abundant in whole foods. These foods contain incredible amounts of nutrient-dense properties that your body and brain can use to help you feel your best. They also don’t lead to inflammation like animal sources and they’re much better for the entire planet.
The beauty of food as medicine is that it can start as soon as your next meal!
Living with intention is powerful medicine, cleansing is one of those things that help us to be clear about those intentions. Weather this is cleansing with the changing of the seasons or aligning your daily rhythms with the cycles of the moon. Cleansing is a way to reconnect with your roots and the ancient wisdom of self healing through food, breath and conscious movement.
There are many reasons to cleanse. Here are a few:
1) Rest the stomach. For the tens of millions of people who are on acid-suppressing drugs — and for older folks who often don’t produce enough stomach acid — making the stomach work less to extract nutrients can be a huge benefit. Juices require less of the stomach’s digestive processing (churning, acid and pepsin). Remember to gently chew the juices to add oral enzymes to further ease digestion.
2) Rest and repair the gut. Toxic foods (including saturated fats, refined carbs, foods with additives, pesticides and allergenic foods), taking medications (such as antibiotics or antacids), and even stress can impair the intestine’s functioning. There can easily be an imbalance in the gut microbiome (flora and fauna balance) as well as actual breaks in the intestinal barrier (“leaky gut”) — allowing substances into our bodies that should not get a free pass. Consuming a phytonutrient-dense rainbow plant-based juice diet allows food to be assimilated quickly through the intestine — consuming less energy, while the toxin-free, nutrient-dense food helps to repair the gut itself.
3) Rest the liver. The liver is our main detoxifying organ. Every molecule of food that is absorbed through the intestinal wall (fiber is not absorbed) moves into the liver for detoxification and preparation before being allowed to enter the rest of the body. Problem is, there are too many toxins for most of our livers to handle — with many passing unchecked into the general circulation to wreak havoc in distant cells. An organic juice cleanse rests the liver’s overload.
4) Reduce your appetite. Juicing doesn’t really shrink the stomach — although it feels like it does. Juicing eliminates the habit of comfort eating, and makes you feel satiated with less food than usual. This provides a big psychological boost to help get over the hurdle of changing habits.
5) Ease food decision-making. Juicing focuses on consuming fresh whole food produce every few hours — and reduces the enslavement of thinking constantly about what the next meal is going to be. Not only do we feel sated, but realize we are no longer slaves to our addictions with (often very harmful) foods.
6) Eliminate harmful foods. The juice cleanse eliminates dairy, wheat, gluten and fermented foods from the diet (as well as coffee and alcohol). In my experience, this can help define what foods are causing our body problems.
7) Floods our body with super nutrition. Being on an all-produce diet gives us not only the vitamins and minerals but the all-important phytonutrients that are powerhouses for the clean-up and healing process. Juices are by nature raw foods — and retain nutrients that would be destroyed by cooking, including some B vitamins and especially (digestive and anti-inflammatory) enzymes.
9) Lose weight. As you are feeling better and having more energy, you also naturally lose weight. Some of this is water bloat, but also some is fat. A juice cleanse is a great way to jump start a diet. It not only helps control appetite and cravings, but is naturally lower in calories, while supplying the body with probably more concentrated beneficial energizing and healing nutrients than it has seen before.
9) Improve energy. After the first day’s adjustment period (mostly missing crunching, and any coffee/alcohol cessation symptoms), most people begin to feel much more energy and clarity (by consuming only fresh juices) than you ever did with frequent caffeine drinks.
10) Rehydrate the body. Drinking sufficient fluids – half your body weight in ounces of water – makes the body function more efficiently, increases energy (often successfully removing the afternoon blahs/brain fog), and helps insure proper elimination of toxins.
11) Reduce physical problems. You begin to feel generally better, not just with your energy, but with many chronic symptoms such as headaches, rashes, general aches, congested sinuses and chest, and bloating/cramping/gas. Too much of the time our body is fighting off the things we do to it (especially with food — but also with lack of sleep, inactivity and stress). Take a break, rest the body (and mind) and flood it with nutrients.
12) Allow maximum detoxification. To optimally support all phases of the body’s natural detox process, you need a very broad range of plant-supplied nutrients like anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories. By providing the body with super-nutrient dense foods juicing allows the body to have more of the resources it needs to support the phases of detoxification, and even to begin to help remove the cumulative toxins stored in the body.
13) Heal our cells. Switching to an organic plant-based diet allows cells to work optimally to re-establish efficient internal messaging and manufacturing processes, allowing the mitochondria to create energy without having to fight off a plethora of free radicals and inflammation, and reducing some of the impediments to proper DNA functioning.
A foundation for self care and nourishment is what we feed our physical bodies. Since what we eat literally makes up the cells in our bodies it stands to reason that eating well makes up our entire experience of life. Our skin, nails, red blood cells, liver, bones, and heart all renew over different periods of time. Some processes take longer than others but isn’t this mind blowing? The human body is literally changing before our eyes and you can see why giving them healing foods is so important.
How do you nourish your body??
Lately I’ve been utterly obsessed with kitchari. Its amazing! Through all of my food adventures I have found kitchari to be the perfect food dish for creating balance in the body and mind.
In Ayurvedic philosophy, health starts in the digestive system. The function of the whole system is dependent on the proper digestion, assimilation and elimination of our food. If these things aren’t happening properly, we become vulnerable to disease. The metabolic energy of digestion, called agni in sanskrit, literally means fire. This fire must be strong for us to properly digest and assimilate our food and so its strength is a direct indicator of the health of our entire system. And so, beyond just cleansing the body of toxins, called Ama, kitchari will rekindle low agni, paving the way for greater balance in the entire system.
1 Cup of yellow mung dal
1 Cup of basmati rice
6 Cups of blessed water
2 Cups of easily digestible vegetables (such as asparagus, carrots, celery, green beans, summer squash, winter squash, yam, sweet potato, turnips or zucchini), cut into bite sized pieces.
2 Tablespoons ghee or coconut oil if you prefer
2 Inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
1 Tablespoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
1 stick kombu seaweed (optional)
Soak the split mung dal overnight (or for at least four hours). Strain the soaking water, combine with the rice and rinse the mixture at least twice, or until the water runs clear, and set aside.
In a medium saucepan or soup pot, warm the ghee over medium heat. Add the black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sauté for a couple of minutes, until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add the turmeric, coriander, fennel, and fresh ginger. Stir briefly, until aromatic. Stir the rice and dal mixture into the spices and sauté for a few moments, stirring constantly.
Add the water, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add bay leaf and kombu. Then, add hard vegetables like turnips, sweet potato, yams, winter squash, carrots or celery. When the soup comes to a boil, stir in the salt, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Add your softer vegetable half way through about the kitchari’s cooking process, stir in the vegetables and allow the stew to return to a boil. Continue to simmer until the rice, dal, and vegetables are fully cooked. I like to have very little water remaining when finished. The consistency is more like a thick stew than a broth. Make sure your beans, rice and hard vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat, cool, and serve.
Some great add ons to kitchari are chutney, cilantro, plain yogurt, raisins, mixed greens, (romaine, spinach, chard, kale, sprouts), sesame seeds, shredded carrots & beets.
“Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.” ~B.K.S. Iyengar
Each ingredient plays a specific role in this dish. Kitchari can stimulate your circulation, invigorate your metabolism, and clear out congestion. The beans are alkaline forming and blood-purifying, they also provide protein and nutrients to nourish the body. Cumin and bay leaf reduce water retention. Coriander promotes liver function and bowel movements, balances blood sugar, is anti-inflammatory and is great for the lungs. The amazing health benefits of turmeric include its ability to reduce inflammation, heal wounds, improve skin health, protect cognitive abilities, and ease menstrual difficulties. Turmeric also helps eliminate depression, alleviate pain, slow the aging process, protect the digestive tract, and prevent cancer. Mustard seeds fight inflammation and cancer. Fennel is great for bone and skin health as well as digestion. Kombu is great for digestion, immune health, supports metabolism, a great source of iron, and is excellent for bone and teeth health. The rice is easily digested, the warming sites kindle the Agni so that we can become digestive superstars!
In conclusion, balanced agni is what gives us vigour and optimal health and well-being. Our bodies are incredible and intelligent, and incorporating kitchari into our diet gives the body a chance to reach homeostasis and beyond. Such a simple dish can initiate drastic improvements in the quality of digestion, assimilation, elimination. It can also shine light about your cravings, energy levels, and overall joy for life!
If you want more info on the next Ayurvedic Kitchari Cleanse Im leading, click here.
“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.” ~Thomas Edison