If you have ever spent any time with me, you would know that I am a huge fan of a simple solution called Sole (pronounced Solay) Water. This magical water is made with Himalayan salt, it contains 84 of your body’s 92 essential minerals we need everyday to stay in balance. In order for your body to fully benefit from these minerals we take in from our food, the molecules must be very small. To make the minerals easier for our body to absorb we can make a solution of Sole Water.
Many experts tell us that our soils are depleted of essential minerals. All diseases of humanity can be attributed to the lack of minerals in our bodies. This slow degeneration of society and of humanity is directly related to the lack of minerals in our food.
“YOU CAN TRACE EVERY SICKNESS, EVERY DISEASE, AND EVERY AILMENT TO A MINERAL DEFICIENCY.” – DR. LINUS PAULING, TWO-TIME NOBEL PRIZE WINNER
Regeneration is what we really need to thrive. Sole and juice together really create an amazing foundation for health and wellness!
Because Sole Water keeps us highly mineralized everything in our body works better, our cells communicate to each other more efficiently. Himalayan mineral salt is a superconductor of ions that charge our body.
“In a nine-week study undertaken in 2003 at the Inter-University of Graz, Austria examined the effects of Himalayan Crystal Salt on physical and psychological functions of the body. It is the only salt ever to have been the subject of comprehensive double-blind scientific research. The results of the study, presented in the book, Water & Salt – The Essence of Life by Dr. Barbara Hendel, M.D. and biophysicist Peter Ferreira, confirmed significant positive changes in respiratory, circulatory, organ, connective tissue and nervous system functions. Patients also reported increases in quality of sleep, energy and concentration levels, brain activity, weight loss, enhanced consciousness, and noticeable hair and nail growth.”
Sole is a great way to start your day! One teaspoon in the morning on an empty stomach mixed in a glass of good quality artesian or spring water. Within minutes of taking this the whole stomach and intestines are being stimulated and absorbing the minerals. This in turn encourages healthy digestion and metabolism to get your day started off right!
How to prepare a Sole Solution:
Place enough Himalayan salt at the bottom of a mason jar or other glass container to cover the bottom inch of the jar. Make sure your jar has a lid so contaminants cannot get into your solution. After about 24 hours, look to see if the salt crystals have completely dissolved. If so, add a few more crystals. When the water can no longer dissolve any more salt the crystals will settle at the bottom of the jar without dissolving. At this point the solution becomes 26%, which is stable and ready for consumption. The isotopic parts in the upper part of the glass tend to be more bio-friendly and alkaline. In contrast, the enriched Sole in the lower part of the glass contains isotopes, which are less bio-friendly and tend to be more acidic. Therefore it is best if we only use the Sole at the top. This solution never expires or goes bad, so you can keep adding water and Himalayan salt to the solution as it starts to get lower in the jar.
Drink 1 teaspoon everyday in warm water. Do not use a metal teaspoon, use bamboo, wood or plastic. The metal interferes with the minerals amazing benefits. If its hot our or you are sweating excessively, you can certainly take more to restore you electrolyte balance.
Notice the effects in your everyday life:
- Consuming Sole helps the body re-hydrate.
- The minerals in Sole make it useful in the natural detoxification that the body already does. Sole is naturally anti-bacterial and can help remove bad bacteria in the body.
- The minerals and stored energy in Sole help boost energy throughout the day.
- Sole stimulates the digestive system promoting food absorption and regularity naturally.
- Some people note improvements in blood sugar levels after using Sole.
- Sole can work as a powerful natural anti-histamine. This action is likely due to its balancing effects on the body, and I have noticed this personally.
- There is a theory that a potential cause of Osteoporosis and other bone disorders is the body utilizing calcium and other minerals from the bones for survival and to neutralize acidity in the blood. Sole is naturally full of minerals and alkalizing, so there is speculation that it is helpful with bone health as well.
- By supporting the correct mineral balance in the body and blood, Sole can help reduce or avoid vein problems like varicose veins.
- Contrary to what we often hear, many people notice a reduction in blood pressure from using Sole.
- By improving digestion and nourishing the body on a cellular level, Sole can help promote weight loss.
- Sole’s high mineral content makes it great for healthy skin (and acne problems), and for hair and nail growth.
Activate your self healing powers with a sole bath! Its amazing! As you float in this sheer ocean of energy, your body and soul become harmonized, you senses are soothed and your muscles relax. Bioenergetic deficits are rebalanced and weak links become strengthened, reactivating our body’s electric current. The organs functions begin to resonate with the natural frequency patterns of sole solution. This activates the natural regulatory mechanism of the body and its self healing powers, begin releasing toxins, allowing your skin to now absorb the vital minerals, reducing acidity in your body and balancing your skin’s pH. You skin becomes hydrated, you are strengthened and energy is renewed.
Studies have shown that you can achieve the best results taking a sole bath during the change of the moon cycle. The minerals and energies stored in the sole can optimally be absorbed during a full moon. The body’s healing potential is at its peak, bioenergetically weak points are harmonized, and the body’s own energy flow is activated. During a new moon, the cleansing effects are optimized because the body’s capacity for detoxifying is at an optimum. The concentration of the sole bath can slowly be increased from 1% to 8%. The higher the concentration, the stronger the cleansing effect, and the more severe the body’s reaction. It has been my experience that some people have to work up to the thirty minute bath as well.
The cleansing effects of a 30-minute bath are equal to three days of fasting. This is because it increases the body’s circulation and because our skin is our biggest eliminative organ the toxins are released into the bath water through osmosis, while the minerals from the sole are absorbed through the skin. You will feel amazing after this bath, let the minerals really soak in and DO NOT dry off after!
How to Prepare a Sole Bath ~ your own personal ocean in the tub:
You can find numerous bath salts on the shelves of many stores. Most of these have been chemically treated and therefore have lost their natural qualities. Ideally, for a salt bath treatment, try to find natural, untreated crystalized salt. Add 1-2 pound of salt to your bath tub and just enough water to cover it. After about 10 minutes the salt will dissolve and now you can fill your bathtub. Do not add any other bath products or essential oils.
The bath water should have. temperature of 98.6 degrees. This is important so that the body does not have to sacrifice its own energy to balance out the temperature. The bath water will remain at this temperature almost continuously. This is because the biophysical structure of the sole solution is so strong, it causes the molecules to move in constant rhythm. Sole baths have a positive effect on many ailments. They are, however, demanding on the circulatory system. Be aware of this if you suffer from weak or poor heart circulation, a foot bath may be more appropriate for you.
Blessings to you and your health!
The sun is a daily reminder that we too can rise again from the darkness, that we too can shine our own light. ~S. Ajna
This soup is nourishing and detoxifying, and when eaten regularly can help replenish nutrient deficiencies, boost immunity and restore vitality. Its delicious and you can use different greens to vary the nutrients and the taste!
1 Tablespoon Ghee or Olive Oil
2 Cups Blessed water or Tea (Astragalus, Pau d’Arco, Echinacea, Nettle, Chamomile)
1 teaspoon Masala
1 teaspoon Pink Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1/8 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
1 Cup Crumbled Fresh Soft Cheese (dairy or non-dairy) ~or~ you could use 1/2 cup soaked Cashews or 1/2 cup cooked lentils instead
1 Pound Leafy Greens such as Chard, Beet Greens, Collards, Spinach, Arugula, Kale &/or Sprouts.
1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley or Cilantro
Garnish with Fresh Lime Juice
In a medium saucepan add oil and spices, simmer and add 2 cups blessed water or tea and cheese. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. While cheese is cooking, prepare your greens: wash, stem and tear them so they blend well ~ this should yield about 8 packed cups or so. Gradually add the greens and parsley, turning them over until they wilt but still remain their vibrant color (about 3-5 minutes). Turn off heat and leave soup uncovered to cool down a bit before transferring to blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Reheat to desired warmth.
Garnish with lime and serve hot.
*Adapted from the book What To Eat For How You Feel by Divya Alter
Enjoy! Many Blessings!
Thought of the moment:
Of all that is wonderful in the human being, our most glorious asset is the capacity to change ourselves. ~Eknath Easwaran
Some of my friends from the Tree of Life started posting about celery juice and specifically the celery juice challenge. Being a seasoned juicer I know and understand how valuable celery juice is and I use it as a base for my green juices.
I honestly thought that because added it to my green juice it would have the same healing effects blended as it does on its own. After joining the #celeryjuicechallenge inspired by my friend and by Anthony Williams’ glowing praise of celery juice, I decided to give the “powerhouse of a drink” a shot. I was baffled by how powerful it is.
- Simply Juice 1 bunch organic celery
- Drink the undiluted juice right away and wait at least 15 minutes before consuming anything else.
Pure celery juice contains bio-available cluster salts and claims to be blissfully healing:
LIVER DETOXIFICATION: Celery’s detoxifying properties work to remove bad bacteria, fungi, mold, viruses and other toxins from the liver; the phytonutrients found in the green stalks also can have a protective effect.
NERVOUS SYSTEM SUPPORT: Celery is a powerhouse for supporting the nervous system. It has a calming effect on the nervous system because of its detoxify properties. It also provides support through its ability to act as a blood purifier.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Celery contains luteolin, a potent flavonoid, that can act as an antioxidant and inflammation.
THYROID CLEANSING: According to Medical Medium, Anthony William, the mineral salts in celery may help to fight and cleanse the body of the Epstein-Barr virus, particularly in the thyroid. Celery can also help to boost production of important thyroid hormones in those with hypothyroidism.
HEART HEALTHY: Studies have shown that celery extract consumption can help to prevent stroke, lower blood pressure, and reduce plaque in arteries.
- High-speed blender
- Nut-milk bag
- Large bowl
- Wash and roughly chop the head of celery into rough chunks.
- Add to a blender along with a splash of water (to help the blades spin).
- Blend for a few seconds until broken down.
- Pour into a large bowl through a nut-milk bag.
- Squeeze through the juice, and compost the remaining fiber in the nut-milk bag. Drink immediately for the most nutritional benefits.
I challenge you to try it, starting immediately for the rest of December! Let me know your experience!
May you all be blessed with the wonder of life during this time of year!
Cleansing has to be experienced to be believed. Its amazing how either a mono diet of kitchari or a juice fast can help with energy, weight loss, detoxification, better sleep, prevent disease and actually create more connection in our lives. When you feel great, you naturally strengthen your own sense of inner peace and openness, this in turn will deepen the intimacy and connection within.
1. You get rid of omnipresent toxins
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the truth is that you are constantly surrounded by toxins and pollutants. There is pollution in the air that we breathe, in the products we use to clean our homes and bodies, in the food that we consume, and even in our homes. You can definitely work on reducing your exposure to toxins but you can not really escape them (even your own body produces metabolic toxins). Hence why a seasonal detox/ cleanse is an excellent way to help your body get rid of some of these absorbed toxins.
2. You give your digestive system a much-needed break
Most cleanses and detoxes are based on avoiding junk foods and allergens. This helps balance blood sugar, reduce cravings and you also feel the benefits in your digestive tract. Problems such as gas, bloating, acid reflux, constipation, and irritation can all be reduced (if not completely eliminated) via a cleanse. Indeed, during a detox, there is less of a burden on your digestive system and you allow your body to get busy with other important biochemical processes, such as detoxification and rejuvenation.
3. You get more energy & a better sleep
Nutrition and most particularly the kinds of foods that you choose to eat will greatly influence your energy levels throughout the day and sleep at night. The heavier you eat and the more sugary foods you consume, the more likely you are to experience severe mid-afternoon crashes and/or poor sleep. That’s because these kinds of foods are very taxing on your digestive system and require a lot of “work” to be processed by your body.
Removing sugar-loaded foods and most common food allergens (i.e. gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar) from your diet for a period of time can go a long way in terms of giving you more energy and definitely better sleep. Test it out.
4. You experience a new sense of clarity
For many people, food and emotions go hand in hand. We eat when we want to celebrate, when we are depressed, bored, scared, … Emotional eating is a real issue and one great way to break through it is to try a cleanse. Through the removal of your favourite “comfort” foods, you learn to make healthier eating choices and you find new ways to cope with your emotions (e.g. daily movement, a new hobby, or socializing).
Moreover, the kinds of foods that we crave when we are emotional (sugary, salty, and usually fatty too) are known to make our minds foggy and unclear. Once you go through a cleanse, you start to see things in a different light – the fog lifts up and you get a new sense of clarity. How refreshing is that?!
5. You access a new level of creativity
When you go through a cleanse, you are forced out of your comfort zone. It can be annoying and uncomfortable at first but then when you push through, you reach a new level of creativity. You start thinking of different ways to prepare your foods. And you inevitably try new recipes – better yet you may even create your own! Creativity will not just stop in the kitchen, it will also expand to other areas of your life. Again, give it a try and see for yourself.
I strongly suggest you cleanse at least twice this year. It could be a 7 day juice cleanse, a 5 day kitchari cleanse, a week without dairy & gluten, or even something as simple as 21 days without sugar. There are many combinations out there. Once you have done your research and have been advised by a health care practitioner or nutritionist, I am positive that you, too, will be convinced that doing a cleanse is good for you.
The other day I was asked about weight loss, I really didn’t know what to say. Honest. Society has positioned many people to believe that we can just magically lose weight by taking a pill or doing the right exercise routine rather than living a lifestyle of loving your body and eating and living well. Living your life in a way that gently, and continuously, and most importantly, healthfully supports your body’s natural detoxification pathways is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. If your Body just contracted a little bit by the word detox I am not referring to restricting, starvation or hunger. In fact, I am talking about the opposite. I am talking about how you can invite simple little acts of love into your life that healthily supports your body’s natural detoxification process. Our bodies are constantly in detox mode. It’s just one of those amazing ingenious internal processes like digestion, metabolism, reproduction, respiration, etc., our bodies just do for us. We don’t even have to think about it. However, because of the constant influx of 21st century toxins, chemicals, and chronic stressors — think: processed foods, environmental pollution, depleted soil, negative self-deprecating thoughts, staring at the computer for 10 hours, late nights, job-stress, energy drinks, I could keep going… — our detoxification pathways are constantly working overdrive. Here are 9 ways you can nourish every cell in your being, and glow from the inside out, for daily detoxification and total body vibrancy.
- Water. Proper hydration is the foundation for a healthy body and detoxification. When the body needs more liquids to flush out toxins, and there are insufficient amounts in the reserves, it will draw water from the bones, muscles and the of course the brain. Drinking half your body weight in ounces of water everyday helps flush out unwanted toxins from your body, prevents constipation, fatigue, acne and skin issues. It’s best not to drink water while you eat as it dilutes your digestive enzymes. Drink water 30 minutes before a meal or 30 minutes after a meal. Give yourself a huge helping hand through a rough day and get on the good stuff: clean water.
- Move. They say exercise is good. Do it 3 to 4 Times a week. Also, more importantly, walk 20 minutes everyday. You wouldn’t go a day without brushing your teeth, don’t go a day with out walking for 20 minutes. It doesn’t have to be continuous it just has to be done. Your body, mind and soul will love it too.
- Eat a rainbow of colors. 8 out of 10 Americans are not getting the phytonutrients they need. Green fruits and vegetables in particular help detox the body and in particular, dark green leafy vegetables because they are simply more nutrient dense than any other food group. They purify the blood, boost the immune system, promote a strong nervous system to restore energy and vitality, support eye health, cleanse your skin, repair DNA, assist in liver detoxification (especially cilantro and dandelion), improve bowel function, reduce acid indigestion, prevent anemia, and act as digestive magic. Make sure to rotate between your greens, kale is not your only option, there is, purslane, watercress, spinach, arugula, micro greens, mustard greens, radicchio, escarole, and dandelion, I could go on………. Green juice or smoothie anyone?
- Unfiltered Raw apple cider vinegar stimulates circulation and aids in detoxification of the liver and lymph nodes. It also contains live probiotics which promote healthy microflora (bacteria) in the gut. When taken regularly, apple cider vinegar helps with gastrointestinal discomfort, indigestion, and can help clear up chronic acid reflux. ACV may also aid in weight loss by stabilizing the blood sugar for a longer period and helping to control appetite. You may also add nutrients to the ACV, I like to make a four thieves vinegar or you can make traditional Fire Cider! Take 1-2 Tablespoons of raw ACV before each meal as a shot or as a dressing on salads and stir fry’s with your dark leafy greens!
- Cultured or fermented foods are imperative for our gut health and for a healthy body, clear mind, and total high-vibe health. Cultured foods help us absorb our nutrients. Consuming cultured or fermented foods on a daily basis re-establishes a healthy inner ecosystem and dramatically improves digestion and the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. Foods like raw sauerkraut, kimchi, and coconut or flax kefir are loaded with digestive enzymes and gut balancing probiotics! Pro- meaning for and biotic- meaning life.
- Lemon is a great alkalizer! Despite their acidic taste, lemons have an alkalizing effect on our internal pH levels making them ideal for cleansing and detoxification. Lemon juice also stimulates the release of bile and digestive enzymes, purifies the liver, hydrates the lymph, and is a natural diuretic. Notoriously high in Vitamin C, one of nature’s key water soluble antioxidants, lemons help neutralize free radicals and therefore protect our cells from damage. Warning: drinking warm water with lemon in the mornings (before or, in place of your am coffee) will change your life. Brush your teeth after! If lemon is not your thing, try Coral Legend by Premier Research Labs available in my shop!
- Detox teas and tinctures from amazing plants create insane alchemy on the body and promote detoxification. It’s the little pleasures. Look for teas and or tinctures with dandelion root, ginger root, licorice root, burdock, or rose petals as they gently nourish your detoxification organs. In addition to your water, drink throughout the day!
- Emotional detox. Emotional health is biochemically linked to our physical body. Meaning, what we think and feel has the power to change the biology of our cells. Thoughts and emotions such as anger, sadness, frustration, fear, anxiety, jealousy, low self esteem you hold within maybe an even greater cause of stress, an imbalance in the system and eventually chronic dis-ease. Where do the actual toxic thoughts go? Hopefully not projected on the lovely people we share our lives with. Good old pen and paper really get the job done. Bitch it out, whine it out, sulk it out and just go on and on about it until you just can’t think of anything else negative to say. Then burn those pages up. Why? Because fire represents the alchemy of transformation and, it feels good to let it burn! Setting a little (safe) fire to can be joyously symbolic of your desire to release these negative emotions into ashes. Literally, burn that shit up.
- Screen detox. Start and end your day free of screens for at least the first hour of your day and the last hour of your day. Turning off your screen the first hour of the day will help you to listen to your internal clock and respond better to your internal clock versus responding to outside stimuli. The light coming from the screen delays your body’s natural release of melatonin, which is responsible for telling your body it’s time to sleep. Turning off screens an hour before bed help you sleep better. Also, no screens while eating. Be present with yourself. Taste your food! Enjoy life’s little treasures!
Each day this week invite one of these daily detox ideas into your life. The more consistent you are the sooner you will be able to see and feel results! What’s your favorite way to detox?
Living with intention is powerful medicine, cleansing is one of those things that help us to be clear about those intentions. Weather this is cleansing with the changing of the seasons or aligning your daily rhythms with the cycles of the moon. Cleansing is a way to reconnect with your roots and the ancient wisdom of self healing through food, breath and conscious movement.
There are many reasons to cleanse. Here are a few:
1) Rest the stomach. For the tens of millions of people who are on acid-suppressing drugs — and for older folks who often don’t produce enough stomach acid — making the stomach work less to extract nutrients can be a huge benefit. Juices require less of the stomach’s digestive processing (churning, acid and pepsin). Remember to gently chew the juices to add oral enzymes to further ease digestion.
2) Rest and repair the gut. Toxic foods (including saturated fats, refined carbs, foods with additives, pesticides and allergenic foods), taking medications (such as antibiotics or antacids), and even stress can impair the intestine’s functioning. There can easily be an imbalance in the gut microbiome (flora and fauna balance) as well as actual breaks in the intestinal barrier (“leaky gut”) — allowing substances into our bodies that should not get a free pass. Consuming a phytonutrient-dense rainbow plant-based juice diet allows food to be assimilated quickly through the intestine — consuming less energy, while the toxin-free, nutrient-dense food helps to repair the gut itself.
3) Rest the liver. The liver is our main detoxifying organ. Every molecule of food that is absorbed through the intestinal wall (fiber is not absorbed) moves into the liver for detoxification and preparation before being allowed to enter the rest of the body. Problem is, there are too many toxins for most of our livers to handle — with many passing unchecked into the general circulation to wreak havoc in distant cells. An organic juice cleanse rests the liver’s overload.
4) Reduce your appetite. Juicing doesn’t really shrink the stomach — although it feels like it does. Juicing eliminates the habit of comfort eating, and makes you feel satiated with less food than usual. This provides a big psychological boost to help get over the hurdle of changing habits.
5) Ease food decision-making. Juicing focuses on consuming fresh whole food produce every few hours — and reduces the enslavement of thinking constantly about what the next meal is going to be. Not only do we feel sated, but realize we are no longer slaves to our addictions with (often very harmful) foods.
6) Eliminate harmful foods. The juice cleanse eliminates dairy, wheat, gluten and fermented foods from the diet (as well as coffee and alcohol). In my experience, this can help define what foods are causing our body problems.
7) Floods our body with super nutrition. Being on an all-produce diet gives us not only the vitamins and minerals but the all-important phytonutrients that are powerhouses for the clean-up and healing process. Juices are by nature raw foods — and retain nutrients that would be destroyed by cooking, including some B vitamins and especially (digestive and anti-inflammatory) enzymes.
9) Lose weight. As you are feeling better and having more energy, you also naturally lose weight. Some of this is water bloat, but also some is fat. A juice cleanse is a great way to jump start a diet. It not only helps control appetite and cravings, but is naturally lower in calories, while supplying the body with probably more concentrated beneficial energizing and healing nutrients than it has seen before.
9) Improve energy. After the first day’s adjustment period (mostly missing crunching, and any coffee/alcohol cessation symptoms), most people begin to feel much more energy and clarity (by consuming only fresh juices) than you ever did with frequent caffeine drinks.
10) Rehydrate the body. Drinking sufficient fluids – half your body weight in ounces of water – makes the body function more efficiently, increases energy (often successfully removing the afternoon blahs/brain fog), and helps insure proper elimination of toxins.
11) Reduce physical problems. You begin to feel generally better, not just with your energy, but with many chronic symptoms such as headaches, rashes, general aches, congested sinuses and chest, and bloating/cramping/gas. Too much of the time our body is fighting off the things we do to it (especially with food — but also with lack of sleep, inactivity and stress). Take a break, rest the body (and mind) and flood it with nutrients.
12) Allow maximum detoxification. To optimally support all phases of the body’s natural detox process, you need a very broad range of plant-supplied nutrients like anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories. By providing the body with super-nutrient dense foods juicing allows the body to have more of the resources it needs to support the phases of detoxification, and even to begin to help remove the cumulative toxins stored in the body.
13) Heal our cells. Switching to an organic plant-based diet allows cells to work optimally to re-establish efficient internal messaging and manufacturing processes, allowing the mitochondria to create energy without having to fight off a plethora of free radicals and inflammation, and reducing some of the impediments to proper DNA functioning.
A foundation for self care and nourishment is what we feed our physical bodies. Since what we eat literally makes up the cells in our bodies it stands to reason that eating well makes up our entire experience of life. Our skin, nails, red blood cells, liver, bones, and heart all renew over different periods of time. Some processes take longer than others but isn’t this mind blowing? The human body is literally changing before our eyes and you can see why giving them healing foods is so important.
How do you nourish your body??
Lately I’ve been utterly obsessed with kitchari. Its amazing! Through all of my food adventures I have found kitchari to be the perfect food dish for creating balance in the body and mind.
In Ayurvedic philosophy, health starts in the digestive system. The function of the whole system is dependent on the proper digestion, assimilation and elimination of our food. If these things aren’t happening properly, we become vulnerable to disease. The metabolic energy of digestion, called agni in sanskrit, literally means fire. This fire must be strong for us to properly digest and assimilate our food and so its strength is a direct indicator of the health of our entire system. And so, beyond just cleansing the body of toxins, called Ama, kitchari will rekindle low agni, paving the way for greater balance in the entire system.
1 Cup of yellow mung dal
1 Cup of basmati rice
6 Cups of blessed water
2 Cups of easily digestible vegetables (such as asparagus, carrots, celery, green beans, summer squash, winter squash, yam, sweet potato, turnips or zucchini), cut into bite sized pieces.
2 Tablespoons ghee or coconut oil if you prefer
2 Inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
1 Tablespoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
1 stick kombu seaweed (optional)
Soak the split mung dal overnight (or for at least four hours). Strain the soaking water, combine with the rice and rinse the mixture at least twice, or until the water runs clear, and set aside.
In a medium saucepan or soup pot, warm the ghee over medium heat. Add the black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sauté for a couple of minutes, until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add the turmeric, coriander, fennel, and fresh ginger. Stir briefly, until aromatic. Stir the rice and dal mixture into the spices and sauté for a few moments, stirring constantly.
Add the water, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add bay leaf and kombu. Then, add hard vegetables like turnips, sweet potato, yams, winter squash, carrots or celery. When the soup comes to a boil, stir in the salt, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Add your softer vegetable half way through about the kitchari’s cooking process, stir in the vegetables and allow the stew to return to a boil. Continue to simmer until the rice, dal, and vegetables are fully cooked. I like to have very little water remaining when finished. The consistency is more like a thick stew than a broth. Make sure your beans, rice and hard vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat, cool, and serve.
Some great add ons to kitchari are chutney, cilantro, plain yogurt, raisins, mixed greens, (romaine, spinach, chard, kale, sprouts), sesame seeds, shredded carrots & beets.
“Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.” ~B.K.S. Iyengar
Each ingredient plays a specific role in this dish. Kitchari can stimulate your circulation, invigorate your metabolism, and clear out congestion. The beans are alkaline forming and blood-purifying, they also provide protein and nutrients to nourish the body. Cumin and bay leaf reduce water retention. Coriander promotes liver function and bowel movements, balances blood sugar, is anti-inflammatory and is great for the lungs. The amazing health benefits of turmeric include its ability to reduce inflammation, heal wounds, improve skin health, protect cognitive abilities, and ease menstrual difficulties. Turmeric also helps eliminate depression, alleviate pain, slow the aging process, protect the digestive tract, and prevent cancer. Mustard seeds fight inflammation and cancer. Fennel is great for bone and skin health as well as digestion. Kombu is great for digestion, immune health, supports metabolism, a great source of iron, and is excellent for bone and teeth health. The rice is easily digested, the warming sites kindle the Agni so that we can become digestive superstars!
In conclusion, balanced agni is what gives us vigour and optimal health and well-being. Our bodies are incredible and intelligent, and incorporating kitchari into our diet gives the body a chance to reach homeostasis and beyond. Such a simple dish can initiate drastic improvements in the quality of digestion, assimilation, elimination. It can also shine light about your cravings, energy levels, and overall joy for life!
If you want more info on the next Ayurvedic Kitchari Cleanse Im leading, click here.
“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.” ~Thomas Edison
There has been a frenzy on the internet about the solar eclipse. People driving long distances, camping, eclipse parties, the desire to pick up eclipse glasses to watch the event, makes me think of the acronym FOMO or fear of missing out. 😂 It”s been fascinating to watch.
What we perceive and what we understand depends upon what we are.
~Aldous Huxley ☀️
The Sun (Surya) that illuminates our world, its our source of light and cosmic power. It is often a symbol of the universal Father, of rebirth, strength, health, passion, vision and even the light of our soul. The Moon (Chandra) is often a symbol of the universal Mother, immortality, eternity, enlightenment, the dark side of nature or the soul. When the moon shadows the sun, it is occluded from our vision and the Sun’s normal functions are suspended. This is energetically powerful. Historically eclipses bring about sudden, unexpected and often times of undesirable events. When I think about our current political unrest, the rise of terror and hate, natural disasters, threats of war. It seems to be intensifying daily and these types of events are magnified near eclipses.
In Vedic astrology, the Sun represents our soul. Our soul is what travels from lifetime to lifetime. Metaphorically, during the time of the eclipse our soul is hidden from ourselves. I will take the time during powerful eclipse energy to go inward to focus my energy on my spiritual practice, chant a mantra, pray, play the singing bowls, visualize peace from within and then out. I will journal and pay special attention to my own professional status, personal ambitions, self-realization, will, optimism and relations with my father.
Wisdom of the Native cultures such as the Navajo believe that the moon and the sun are sacred the way they were created, and you are not supposed to watch the moon or look at, stare at it for a long time. It affects your mind and your body. Especially for women who are carrying a baby. It is said that if a pregnant woman sees an eclipse of any kind, be it solar or lunar, it might affect the mind of the woman or also in the future it will affect the health of the baby. An eclipse either lunar or solar, is a sacred time where the sun, the moon and the earth is kind of like in an intimate position when they line up, it’s such a profoundly sacred event that it is inauspicious to view….. out of respect and reverence for every man, woman and child. Its also of common practice to abstain from eating and even drinking water, its a time to just go into the house until it passes.
Ignorance is the night of the mind. A night without a moon by which clearly to see. ~Confucius 🌙
The Maya found eclipses to be disturbing. Although many representations of eclipses appear in Mayan art, such events were generally understood to portend bad tidings. Solar eclipses, known as chi’ ibal kin, or ‘to eat the sun,’ were a particular cause for distress among the Maya people. Mayan priests went to great lengths to predict eclipses and calculate all manner of astronomical phenomena. The stars are powerful forces, the sun and the moon in particular are the most powerful luminaries in the heavens in relation to planet earth.
We can never tell how these once in a lifetime events can affect us, until later on. Whatever you choose to do during the eclipse, may it not only affect your life in a positive way, but also, create more awareness globally.
Peace and love to you, now and always!
Fasting is wonderful for the body, mind and soul. Some of the other benefits of fasting are improved metabolic health, increased longevity, creativity, enhanced relationships, and better heart health. Throughout history we find intelligent beings like Plato, Socrates and Hippocrates as well as ancient civilizations throughout history practicing fasting to achieve longevity and higher states of consciousness. Modern research also shows it also is good for your brain.
Scientists at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging have shown, how fasting benefits the brain on a neurological level. There are many different techniques and schools of thought on fasting, but the practice usually involves abstaining from food or following a calorie-restricted diet for anything from 24 hours to a few days or even weeks.
Fasting can be a preventative measure for overactive synaptic activity and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s disease. Research shows that fasting significantly improves congnitive function, stimulating faster learning, better memory, reduced inflammation and increased stress resistance.
Fasting is a challenge to your brain, and your brain responds to that challenge by adapting stress response pathways which help your brain cope with stress and risk for disease. The same changes that occur in the brain during fasting mimic the changes that occur with regular exercise. They both increase (neurotrophic factors), which in turn promotes the growth of neurons, and strength of synapses. This is truly incredible.
Click here to view a 5 minute segment on how fasting significantly lowers the risk of developing cognitive diseases.
A study published in the June 5th issue of Cell Stem Cell by researchers from the University of Southern California showed that cycles of prolonged fasting protect against immune system damage and, moreover, induce immune system regeneration. They concluded that fasting shifts stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal. It triggers stem cell based regeneration of an organ or system. Amazing.
Please research different types of fasting as there are many kinds of patterning you can introduce to your system. Juice fasting is a multidimensional experience in which total body transformation occurs. As you can see there are a wide range of metabolic changes and experiences physically, mentally and emotionally. Click the juice cleansing link in the toolbar above to find info on my latest offerings for a juice fasting adventure!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on fasting as I would be happy to help you inviestigate a fasting routine that is of the highest good for you!
I fast for greater physical and mental efficiency. ~Plato